This recipe really is the easiest and quickest way to creamy, delicious ice cream. It doesn’t need the complication of endless churning or an ice cream maker (although a stand mixer will save you a lot of time and energy!).
Best of all, this recipe doesn’t leave you with wasted ingredients like the traditional approach (which leaves us all wondering what to do with all those egg whites!).
Super-easy for kids, busy families, or anyone wanting to get that luxury taste without having to sacrifice your afternoon,this will stay with all who try it!!
- Difficulty: Easy
- Time: 30 mins prep; overnight freezer
You will need:
- 3 x large mixing bowls (including 1 x stand mixer bowl, if you have one)
- 1 x large tub for storage in the freezer
- 600ml double cream
- 250g caster sugar
- 6 eggs, separated into whites/yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or the seeds of 2 x vanilla pods)
- In your first large bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff.
- In your second bowl, whip up the double cream, adding in the vanilla extract (or seeds) whilst whipping. Keep going until the cream rises in stiff peaks.
- In the third bowl, Beat the egg yolks and caster sugar until they are light and fluffy.
- Add your egg yolk and caster sugar mixture to the whipped cream mixture – beat again until fluffy (this won’t take long – generally a minute or so in a mixer, or about three minutes with a hand whisk will do).
- Transfer your mix into your storage tub – then fold in the egg whites. Do this very carefully, with a ‘folding’ rather than a ‘stirring’ motion – there needs to be as much air kept in the mix as possible.
- That’s it! Place the tub of loveliness into the freezer, and leave overnight, ready to be enjoyed by all the following day.