Sweet and delicious, Bakewell Tart is a moreish, satisfying and delicious cake. In its traditional form it can take a while to make and requires a lot of very sugary icing. This more family and time friendly version is easy to make, and also a little easier on the sugar than its traditional counterpart.
- 115g plain flour
- 60g hard butter, cubed
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1-2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1-2 tbsp lemon curd
- 85g soft butter
- 170g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3tbsp lemon juice
- 170g ground almonds
- 6 tbsp of cake crumbs (muffins and cupcakes work well for this)
- 9”x13” baking tray
Preheat the oven to 180C
To make the pastry
- Rub the butter and flour together until well combined.
- Add the water and bring together into a ball.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
To make the filling
- Mix the butter, sugar and eggs in a food processor for 45 seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredient and mix thoroughly.
- Line the tin with pastry.
- Spread the jam and lemon curd onto the pastry.
- Spread the filling on top of the jam and lemon curd.
- Bake in the oven for around 15-20 minutes, or until the top has browned.
- Allow to cool before cutting into squares.